21 days ago
The Open Data Charter was founded in 2015 as a collaboration between governments and experts who came together and agreed six Principles for how governments should be publishing information. The shared aspiration was that data should be open by default, timely and interoperable. More than 90 governments and organisations have since committed to the Charter.
Today we are pleased to announce that Richard Stirling has been appointed Chair of our Advisory Board. We are also looking to expand our Advisory Board to support the delivery of our mission – to embed a culture and practice of openness in governments in ways that are resilient to change.
While seeking to achieve regional and gender diversity, we are looking for three new passionate members. We want people who:
- Have a track record around the use and impact of open data,
- Have an understanding of the Charter mission and its goals,
- Are willing to commit to supporting our strategy, and
- Can act as ambassadors for the Charter at a global scale.
We are also looking to rectify gender and regional imbalances in the board, and encourage women and those from under-represented regions (Africa, Asia) to apply. We are keen to encourage representatives from national, regional, state and city governments to consider applying.
If this sounds like you, or someone you would like to nominate, please send us a CV along with a letter of intent (maximum one page) to info [at] opendatacharter.org before the 30th of November.
The Advisory Board of the Charter is an inclusive, multi-stakeholder board, open to representatives of government, civil society and private sector who provide oversight of the initiative. For more info on roles and responsibilities see our governance structure, designed to reflect our position as a trusted space that guides, connects and enables governments and organisations to deliver impact from open data.
New appointments to the Advisory Board, are approved by existing members, on the recommendation of the Executive Director, who will review application submitted through this open call.
Current Advisory Board members
- Richard Stirling (Oxford Insights) – Chair of the Board
- Fabrizio Scrollini (ILDA)
- Jose Alonso/Craig Fagan (Web Foundation)
- Sander van der Waal (Open Knowledge International)
- Martin Tisne (Omidyar Network)
- Fernando Perini (OD4D / IDRC)
- Allison O’Beirne (Government of Canada)
- Enrique Zapata (Government of Mexico)
- Sumandro Chattapadhyay (Centre for Internet and Society)
- Thom Townsend (Government of the United Kingdom)
See here for short bios of the board members.