The Challenge: Data related to climate is varied according to stakeholders, including civil society, citizens, private sector, and government agencies.
Climate-relevant data is often collected by multiple agencies in any given country, such as: meteorological services, regional and urban planning, natural resource and park management, and mapping agencies.
The Solution: Our Open Up Guide for Climate Action helps establish clarity and direction for governments looking to improve their climate-related open data publication.
Open Up Guide for Climate Action
We hope the guide is used by national governments and institutions who are looking to prioritize and publish the most important climate-relevant data in their local contexts. We strongly believe that it is beneficial for governments to open up climate action data directly and hope that the Open Up Guide and its different versions help improve their climate-data publication.
Gitbook version — Eng | Spa
This version of the Open Up Guide to Advance Climate Action is an interactive version of the Guide and gives an overview of what an Open Up Guide is. This version also includes key climate-relevant data types (see Airtable version).
Airtable version — Eng | Spa
Go straight to the existing data examples! The Airtable version contains key climate-relevant data types. Whenever national or international datasets are available, we included links in the tables to serve as examples.
From our ‘Open Up Guide’ to a recent collaboration with Uruguay’s Ministry of Environment, AGESIC and with some support from AIDB, a series of talks for an Open Climate Data Challenge (see video below) there’s plenty to take inspiration from.
Our Work in Climate Action
Below is a comprehensive list of the Open Data Charter’s major climate action work for your reference:
- Open Up Guide for Climate Action Report (Eng | SPA) | Gitbook (Eng | SPA) | Airtable (Eng | SPA)
- Data for Climate Action in Chile, 2020 (English | SPA)
- Open Data for climate action in Uruguay report, 2021 (English | SPA)
- Implementing Open Data Strategies For Climate Action: Suggestions And Lessons Learned For Government And Civil Society Stakeholders Report with World Resources Institute, 2021 (English only)
- Concurso de Datos Climáticos Abiertos Uruguay, 2023 (Spanish only)
- The Open Data Community and Climate Report: Opportunities for Focused Collaboration, 2023 (English only)
You can also visit our blog for more articles and writings on climate action.